This post may contain affiliate links. That simply means that I may receive a commission at zero cost to you when you choose to use the links I provided. Thank you for your continued support and for reading my site.
Maggie from Mags on the Move nominated me for the Liebster Award. Thank you so much Maggie! Her blog consists of travel info, her own experiences at home, and as she says it – “a weird activities and awkward encounters”. That got my attention! Since she and I both are based in the USA, it would be pretty cool to meet up with her one day.
What is the Liebster Award?
Liebester is a German word which means “Dearest” or “Beloved” . This award is dedicated to talented bloggers with less than 200 followers.
How Do You Get Nominated?
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog (check!)
- Answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominator
- Nominate other bloggers that have less than 200 followers
- Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer
- Contact your nominees to let them know they’ve been nominated
Here my Answers to the Questions Mags on the Move asked me:
1. Based on your travels, if you had to pick one place to stay for the rest of your life, where would it be? I’d say any island in the Caribbean! I live for tropical islands, beaches, and scuba diving so that would make me the happiest living that way forever. Plus, the Caribbean is still close to the surrounding continents so I can hop around easily.
2.Tell a funny story that’s happened to you while traveling. (Not a question I know, but I’ll allow it.)
Hmm..well it makes me think of when I was in Punta Cana for spring break. I and my friends would pull our sheets and comforters out of our hotel room and sleep in the beach chairs! One morning we woke up and it was a bunch of the Dominicans that worked at the hotel cleaning off the beach and seaweed that accumulated – laughing and looking at us very weirdly. I took my comforter and went back to my room. I wonder if they see that happen often.
3. What do you never leave home without?
In general leaving my house – it’s my purse which has a lot in it! So it’s hard to choose, I need my chapstick, cash on hand, and my smartphone. When leaving home to go on a trip, then my two cameras. I always bring my underwater camera to use in the water and I bring a backup to use on land. Plus extra batteries because I take a lot of pictures.
4. What is your travel planning process? Do you plan everything out, book in advance, have an itinerary, etc., or do you just show up and see what happens?
I am so detailed all the time and love the planning process! I will read and research for days and months even if I don’t have a plane ticket to a destination. I make my own itineraries but leave open time for surprises and of course, down time. Last minute trips are great too, I still plan them out even if it’s 2 weeks away.
5. What’s your next big destination, or if you don’t have anything planned, what would you like it to be?
I’m leaving for Australia on February 7th – whoohooo! It’s my first time there and my first time going that far west past California.
6. What’s the most important thing you have gained from travel experience.
I gained more confidence from traveling. I see how others live and what other people are doing with their lives instead of the 9-5pm average work hours. It motivates me to do more with my life and try new activities.
7. What is one place that you haven’t been yet, but would love to go to?
I haven’t been yet to Africa and am hoping to go there in 2015! I became friends with the girl who shared my hostel room (shoutout to Alecia DeMilander!) and we still keep in touch. She lives in Cape Town, South Africa so we’re shooting to meet again when it’s summertime there.
8. What is the best travel tip you can share with your readers?
Do some research, at least some! Even if you hate it, you might miss out on something you would have liked to do. Relying on just a travel agent or winging it sometimes works, but most likely you might miss an important tip.
9. What is the biggest mistake you have made while traveling?
I didn’t do my research or ask questions. I relied on someone else’ travel agent and overpaid for a trip in college. My friend booked separately, researched and went to the same resort on the same flight with me and paid 50% less. That’s a lot of money I could have saved.
10. Do you prefer lots of short visits to many different places, or long in-depth visits to one destination?
Absolutely lots of short visits to more places. Long visits are fun but with working a full time job, it wouldn’t allow me to do as many vacations. When I take shorter trips, there’s more of them and I leave more often. It doesn’t feel as long a wait in between either.
For my Nominations – Check out these other great bloggers, I’ve been reading their blog the last several months!
My 10 questions for you to answer if you accept the award are:
1. When was the earliest trip you have taken?
2. Which country/destination have you visited the most times?
3. Do you know another language besides English?
4. Where did you grow up and do you still live there? If you have moved, where are you now?
5.What is your favorite activity to do while vacationing?
6. How do you inspire others to travel?
7. Where and when is your next trip?
8. Name something off your bucket list you have yet to cross off.
9. Have you ever volunteered or studied abroad? How was it?
10. Is there a country you would like to move to in the future and live in for a while?
To my nominees – thanks for all your posts, stories, and everything you offer to the world.